Avian Influenza Reported in Backyard Flock in Gallatin County
Wednesday May. 4th, 2022
Gallatin County officials were notified that avian influenza A (H5N1) was detected in a flock of domestic poultry located in rural Gallatin County.
The site was identified late last week near Manhattan/Belgrade. The Montana Department of Livestock (MDOL) has identified a “Surveillance Zone” of ten kilometers around this location, and an investigation is ongoing. This Surveillance Zone includes all of Manhattan and parts of northwest Belgrade.
If you own outdoor birds, be sure to monitor closely for signs of illness. Report any sudden onset of illness or death of birds to the following:
- Report dead or sick domestic birds:
- Your local veterinarian
- Montana Department of Livestock – 406-444-2976
- Report dead or sick wild birds:
- Local Fish, Wildlife, and Parks Warden or Regional Office
- Gallatin County FWP Office – 406-585-9010
- State FWP Wildlife Veterinarian – 406-577-7880