MSU opens outdoor ice rink to celebrate 125th anniversary
Monday Feb. 12th, 2018
As part of celebrations marking its 125th anniversary, Montana State University has created a free, public, outdoor skating rink on campus.
The rink, measuring 120 by 50 feet, opened this week and will remain open as long as the weather allows. It is located on the lawn immediately south of Hannon Hall, near the east end of the Centennial Mall. A campus map is available online at montana.edu/campus-map.
Students, staff, faculty and community members are welcome to use the rink during daylight hours. Skaters take to the ice at their own risk, and participants and spectators must abide by MSU policies. Alcohol, drugs and tobacco are prohibited.
The ice schedule for the MSU’s 125th anniversary week is as follows:
• Feb. 12 – Open recreation
• Feb. 13 – Open recreation; open broomball, 6-8 p.m.
• Feb. 14 – Sweetheart Skate, 6-8 p.m. with prizes, music, food and more
• Feb. 15 – Open recreation; open broomball; 6-8 p.m.
• Feb. 16 – Open skate, 4-7 p.m.; open broomball, 7-9 p.m.
• Feb. 17 – Open curing, 10-10:45 a.m.; open human bowling, 10:45-11:30 a.m.; figure skating exhibition, 11:30-noon; hockey exhibition, noon-1 p.m.; open skate, 1-6 p.m.
The ASMSU Outdoor Recreation Program will provide skate rentals from the shed near the rink leading up to MSU’s Bobcat Birthday Bash on Feb. 16-17. Adult and youth skates will be available. Rentals are $2, cash only. The rink is operated by ASMSU Recreational Sports and Fitness. For more information, call 406-994-5000.
The ice rink is just one of many events scheduled to mark MSU’s 125th anniversary on Feb. 16. Other events that weekend will include awards, lectures, food, music, club sports demonstrations and a Ferris wheel. More information is online at www.montana.edu/125.